Newcastle despite missing players through injury started the brighter of the two teams and got off to the perfect start after forty seconds when Miguel Almirón could have been awarded a penalty after a collision with Michael Keane. Almirón got across the Everton defender who appeared to tug his arm slightly but Almirón stayed on his feet and stumbled before shooting wide. Ancelotti let Michael Keane know that was not acceptable and after that Everton, in the main, defended rather well and grew into the game.

The Blues got hold of the ball and began to look sharper than their Geordie hosts. Moise Kean who started up front with Dominic Calvert-Lewin, was looking lively and stretching the Magpies back four. Everton put some nice moves together and should have scored when Theo Walcott chose the wrong corner to put the ball after good work by Kean.

Everton did not have to wait too much longer though to get their noses in front and they did through Calvert-Lewin again. Gylfi Sigurdsson’s free-kick was deflected into the path of the striker, and finished expertly beyond Martin Dubravka’s reach to put the visitors in front.

Andy Carroll was Newcastle’s most dangerous player and he almost dragged Newcastle back into things, disrupting the growing visiting dominance while setting teammates a toweringly defiant example. Whereas previously it had been all about Theo Walcott’s menacing advances and Kean’s excellent movement, suddenly Carroll was here, there and everywhere, making vital interceptions at both ends.

Newcastle finished the half strongly with Jordan Pickford doing well to palm Schär’s high-velocity shot to safety. Hayden also volleyed narrowly over as the hosts came to life.

The second half started how the first half had ended and once again Carroll was the Newcastle talisman. He rose brilliantly above everyone to head Jetro Willems’s free-kick down for Schär to volley beyond Pickford and level things up. Ancelotti did not look too impressed on the touchline.

Everton’s manager responded by introducing Fabian Delph and the latter’s solidifying presence offered the Merseysiders a counterattacking platform, providing a superb springboard for Richarlison’s exceptional pace.

When Andy Carroll lost possession it was Delph’s neat pass under pressure that initiated the break from which the visitors restored their lead. Sidibe fed Richarlison who crossed superbly for Calvert-Lewin, whose slid the ball home from 3 yards to restore Everton’s lead. It was Calvert-Lewin’s third goal in two games thereby suggesting he is finally discovering the end product to match his wonderful aerial prowess and fine technical ability.

Everton controlled the rest of the game and could have added to the scoreline but Ancelotti won’t mind, it’s six points from six points for the Italian manager as Everton continue to climb the table.

Final : Newcastle Utd 1-2 Everton

How they lined up : 

Barry Cass